Friday, February 6, 2015

Review: Soulprint by Megan Miranda


Soulprint by Megan Miranda
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Publication Date: February 3, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A new literary, sci-fi thriller from acclaimed author Megan Miranda.

With the science of soul-fingerprinting a reality, Alina Chase has spent her entire life imprisoned for the crimes her past-self committed. In an attempt to clear her name, Alina unintentionally trades one prison for another when she escapes, aided by a group of teens whose intentions and motivations are a mystery to her. As she gets to know one of the boys, sparks fly, and Alina believes she may finally be able to trust someone. But when she uncovers clues left behind from her past life that only she can decipher, secrets begin to unravel. Alina must figure out whether she’s more than the soul she inherited, or if she’s fated to repeat the past. 

This compelling story will leave readers wondering if this fictional world could become a reality.

What I Liked:

This is my first time reading something by Megan Miranda - I know she has several other novels published, but none of them really interested me. This one stuck out to me because its science fiction-thriller-romance story. Three of my favorite genres, wrapped into one book - I'm glad I was given the chance to read this one (thank you for the review copy, Bloomsbury!).

Alina Chase is "contained" because her soul was once that of a criminal, June, who was feared for her crimes before she was killed in an accident. Alina has been living in a prison-like "home", surrounded by guards and living aides, until three teens break her out over several months. But Alina is trading on prison for another, and she must try to figure out what clues June left, in order to save her life, and the lives of those she has grown to care about.

I love thrillers, but I don't read nearly enough of them. Probably because they usually don't appeal to me - but the ones that I've read, I've loved. Altered by Jennifer Rush is a really a good one, with great science content and a sweet romance as well. 

I really liked Alina - she is fierce and determined, as well as very observant and intelligent. It was easy for me to like her, because I felt like I related to her, at least on the personality level. Of course, Alina has a very different life, what with living with the soul of an alleged criminal. To Alina, it makes no difference to her character and being. But to the world, Alina will start demonstrating violent tendencies like June, and turn into a dangerous criminal like June. So she is contained.

The story is fast-paced and exciting, from the beginning. I love how the author leaves small clues throughout the scenes, and mentions something that readers won't know at first, but eventually find out. I like this reveal of information, as well as bombshells. There are lots of times when something came full circle, or made sense. I never felt like I was missing something (at least for too long), and by the time the book ended, I felt pretty content with how things wrapped up.

Alina escapes from her home/prison, with the help of Cameron, Casey (his sister), and Dominic. The trio take her to "safe" places, but really, it's like she's imprisoned all over again. Dominic wants something June might have left. Cameron is trying to protect Casey, and Dominic is blackmailing Casey. Alina is caught in the middle of everything, trying to find whatever June left.

I loved the supporting characters of this book, probably as much as I loved Alina (or more). Specifically, Cameron. I've seen on several reviews the love for Cameron, but I was a tad bit skeptical (I didn't think I would like him as much as everyone else did, for some reason). I definitely do like him as much as others do. He is quiet and clever, not arrogant or in-your-face. He isn't cocky or selfish, but rather, pensive and calculating (but not in a cruel way). Shrewd and intelligent. I liked him a lot. 

Yes, there is romance, and I loved it so much. I shipped Cameron and Alina from the beginning, even though they meet under odd circumstances. Cameron and Alina have a quiet heat, and simmering intensity to them. There was one point in the book where my heart stopped because I couldn't imagine them not getting a nice ending! But fret not, their ending is pretty satisfying.

In general, this book has a decently positive ending. It is a bit open-ended, as the endings of many standalone novels are, and I liked how the author tied loose ends. I didn't necessarily want more from the novel, which is the mark of a good standalone. I think this story has been told, and has been told well, and I couldn't see other novels to add to this one.

What I Did Not Like:

I didn't mention too much about the climax of the story - mostly because I was slightly disappointed and confused. The climax is very fast, but a bit anticlimactic, in my opinion. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was expecting the conflict of the story - the whole deal with June and her past - to be something more, and for the climax to blow up a little more. I guess, given the high stakes high action fast pace of the book, up until this point, I'd expected a seriously epic climax and falling action. But, that's okay.

Would I Recommend It:

Definitely highly recommended to thriller fans out there (I don't mean the song). I haven't read a thriller in a while, but I liked this one a lot! It's exciting and a quick read. If you get the chance, you should read this one! If anything, the romance is really sweet but not overwhelming but really nice!

Rating:

4 stars. I enjoyed the sciencey aspect of the book (reincarnated souls), but I also enjoyed the thriller aspect (everyone chasing Alina), and the romance aspect (lovely chemistry between Cameron and Alina). I'd read this one just to discover any one of those elements!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

9 comments:

  1. Yay :D So happy you enjoyed this book Alyssa. <3 It was a four star for me too :) I really, really liked it. Yesss. The romance was so good :D But hmph. I want another book, lol, I want to know even more about Cameron and Alina :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad! I wanted more Cameron and Alina as well, but I think this one functioned well as a standalone novel. Thank YOU, Carina!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't too sure of this one but sounds like it was quite intriguing and interesting, and YAY for thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone seems to love this one. For some reason it flew under my radar and I have to remedy this soon. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance if the publisher hadn't sent me a random, unsolicited ARC!

      Thank you <3

      Delete
  4. YES! HIGH FIVE. I didn't like this book as much as you evidently, but a lot of ppl have actually been saying they weren't huge fans so I was like...my black sheepness has arrived lol. BUT EEKS YAY GLAD YOU LOVED

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!