Sunday, March 13, 2016

Science in Fiction (#14): Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey


Welcome to this month's Science in Fiction feature! Science in Fiction is a meme I created to showcase the wonderful aspects of science in Young Adult fiction novels. For more information and previous feature, check out the "Science in Fiction" tag!

This month, I'm featuring Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey!



Love, Lies and Spies is the story of Julianna, Telford, a proper English lady who is more interested in studying beetles than having a Season in London (this is a historical fiction novel, set in 1800s England). Specifically, the coccinellidae beetle (ladybug!).

Women in science during this time period was not common (at least publicly), and it was so taboo for a woman to be interested in science. But there have been many, many brilliant and successful female scientists for hundreds of years.

International Women's Day was just last week, on March 8th, and this amazing YA novel featured an intelligent, clever pioneer in beetle research. Women in science are especially inspiring, to me! I'm studying to be an engineer, and it's a privilege for me (as a female) to be able to do just that.

So today, I'm going to feature some pretty awesome women in science!


Maria Gaetana Agnesi

(1718 – 1799)

First woman to write a math textbook! 








Source: Wikipedia


Laura Bassi

(1711-1778)

First female professor - and in science!












Source: Wikipedia

Mary Somerville

(1780-1872)

First female, jointly with Caroline Herschel, to be nominated as a member of the Royal Astronomical Society!




Source: Wikipedia

Marie Curie

(1897-1934)

First woman to win a Nobel Prize (which she won twice, in Physics and Chemistry)! This woman is a LEGEND in the physics world.







Source: Wikipedia

Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova

(1937- )

First woman in space!








Source: Wikipedia

Rachel Carson

(1907-1964)

A pioneer in the environmental engineering world; she studied many environmental problems in the 1950s, including the use of pesticides. Her book, Silent Spring, is one of the most important books of the time!



Source: Wikipedia


These are only some of the MANY women in science (I didn't even get to the late 1900s/early 2000s)! I find these women, and many more, so inspiring. To all of you fabulous ladies who do so much in the STEM fields, rock on!  

Who are my fellow science-y ladies? Medical personnel, engineering, conservationist - represent!

6 comments:

  1. Very cool post, Alyssa!! I love learning about these awesome and inspirational women! :D (And I can't wait to read Love, Lies, & Spies!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read about women in science, though later I don't remember their names. I love all things about space, so the only one I know from your list is Valentina... maybe you'll the next woman in science I know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad you're familiar with her! And hey, I'd love for that to come true. ;) Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. YAY for women in science :D So awesome. I.. don't really know anything about science at all, lol. But I always love your posts :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!